The emblematic lighthouse of Maspalomas and one of the main tourist landmarks of Gran Canaria, was lit for the first time on February 1st, 1890.
The decision to build the lighthouse was made in 1861, although it actually took 28 long years to finish. At the time, the place was an uninhabited, desert paradise, cut off from the rest of the island. In order to build the lighthouse, which stands 55 metres high, they used a dock with a small ramp to unload the materials, which could only be brought in by sea.The lighthouse was the only construction at the end of a long strip of sand which started at what is now the Playa del Inglés and tailed off close to the Maspalomas Oasis. It helped to guide steamboats which covered routes between Europe, Africa and America.
Faro de Maspalomas opened to the public in February 2019 as an ethnographic exhibition, gift shop and info point.